March 22, 2009

A Good Thing? Not Really.

So, I am officially a victim of the economy. I lost my job. I work for a non-profit and they're closing my program and three others. So I have approx 60 days until we close. The only good thing (but not really) is that I'll have tons more time for my looming! I have more than enough yarn to get me through this! I can finally do all those little projects that I put on hold. My plan is to relax and take the whole summer off. And maybe I'll sell some of my stuff on Etsy or Ebay or something like that. My focus would probably be on things for loc wearers, like hats, tams, and more loc jewelry pieces and matching earrings. I'm probably going to take the plunge and buy some more expensive yarns like silk and silk blends, since that's better for your hair. I'll make other things, too. Maybe some skinny scarves or things like that. I also have this pattern for toddler leggins that I've been wanting to do, as well. As long as I get my unemployment checks on time (cause I heard there's a two month hold-up in Massachusetts!) I should have a pleasant summer. I'm not expecting too much on the Etsy front, though. I've heard its hard for many people to make money on it cause it really depends on your marketing skills and how well you market yourself. And I have virtually no skills in that department. I mean, I have my Youtube subscribers. And the 5 or so people who follow my hair blog. That's not much! LOL! I mean, I'm not trying to make my living off of this (although in my heart of hearts, that would be my dream!!!!), just trying to fill the gap from my normal pay to what I'm going to be receiving from unemployment. I don't know. My carpel tunnel could flare up and I might not get anything done. We'll see.

No comments: